I can honestly say life for me has always been pretty good. Not too many ups or downs and everything has pretty much remained in balance. Like everyone else out there you have good and bad times. Having to watch not one, but both of my parents beat cancer was definitely a low and high all rolled into one and meeting my husband on a cruise (random I know) and having my children is definitely a high. Moving across the country not once, but twice falls somewhere in the middle. I hate being away from my friends especially since they all decided to finally get married and start having little ones. I hate not sharing where I grew up with my kids and the joys Michigan has to offer, but after 29 years of snow and cold and 27 years of wear and tear on my body from sports, the sun and warmth is where i belong. Besides, I ran a marathon last year and if I was living in Michigan that is something I never ever would have done.
As I think back life for me has always been about hard work,determination, competition and accomplishments. From the time I was probably 7 my father was dragging me around half the state of Michigan having me tryout for the best team out there for whatever sport I was playing at the time. It helped develop me as a person both physically and emotionally. It put me in uncomfortable positions and forced me to deal with things head on, overcome my short comings and become the best I could with what I had. It put me through college and helped me land my first teaching and coaching job only 48 hours post graduation. This has helped me in different areas of my life and I will always be grateful. Little did I know that at 33 years old I would be faced with an experience that I would have nothing to fall back on. No previous lesson that I have learned on a basketball court or soccer field, or in a past failed relationship that would prepare me for the morning of Dec. 19, 2010 when my doctor uttered the most horrifying words any mother/parent ever wants to hear, " I am so sorry..."



0 comments:
Post a Comment