Monday, February 14, 2011

The Final Piece to the Puzzle



When I went to the doctor on Jan. 4 my doctor went over my test results. When you have a fetal demise they have to test you for everything, hence all the blood draws I was complaining about in my previous posts. They have to check for bacteria, viruses, or any other complication that could have caused the death of the baby.

I had 2 tests come back low that deal with clotting. They did not find any clots in my placenta, which is a good thing, and what is low for me is normally low in pregnant women. They don't even test for this unless you have a situation like mine. So at 8 weeks post I have to have another blood draw (ugh) to see where my numbers are when pregnancy hormones are not skewing the results, and that was today.

I am officially traumatized from being poked so many times in a 24 hour period. I have never had a problem having blood drawn. My veins cooperate and it is done quickly until Logan passed. I can't tell you how many times they would be successfully drawing my blood that day and then the vein would close up...it was bordering torture having them dig around my arm in the hospital with that needle. Finally they were nice enough to use a butterfly needle and just take it from my hand. I also learned I had small veins which has never been mentioned to me before until that night.

Subconsciously I must have remembered how bad it was getting all that blood taken because when I was waiting for the lady to take my blood I couldn't relax. Deja vu all over again...in goes the needle and she can't find a vein and then she does and it isn't cooperating so she is digging in my arm. I honestly thought I was going to pass out or throw up on her. Finally she realized I wasn't doing so well and stopped. She asked if I have had a lot of blood drawn recently because there is a lot of scar tissue and she had trouble getting into the vein...awesome!!! I kind of wish we would have had this conversation 2 minutes earlier so I wouldn't have had to go through all of that. So I had to tell her a shortened version of what happened and she was nice enough to try the other arm and it worked.

So the waiting game begins. Hopefully I will hear something by the end of this week. This will determine a lot for me not only in my next pregnancy, but for the rest of my life. If I find out that I do have a clotting problem then I will be on medication the rest of my life. Kind of crazy to think that Logan losing his life could actually save mine.

0 comments:

Post a Comment