You would think the crazy rollercoaster pregnancy I had with Layton would prepare me for something unexpected after his birth, but I guess I was just hoping for boring and run of the mill...WRONG!!!
I have learned real quick that big kid sickness and germs are really hard on a little body and unfortunately I am typing this from my iPad at children's hospital with Layton. My little man started getting congested Monday night and was sleeping WAY too much. Part of me kept wanting to believe it was a growth spurt, but past experience has shown me otherwise.
Yesterday his congestion started to scare me and thankfully I took him into the pediatrician...15 minutes later I was heading to the hospital trying to keep it together. I am scared. At first everything was great, according to everyone in the E.R., because he didn't have a fever and he seemed to be "passing oxygen" through his body on his own. Even my nurse didn't understand why we were still there. Within the next 3 hours things changed drastically. I could hear the wheezing and he was developing a very pronounced cough, not to mention the neon yellow drainage coming it of his nose, and he spiked a fever.
He has been diagnosed with Bronchiolitis caused by a virus that i am sure my other kids gave to him, but his X-ray showed a small portion of one of his lungs has collapsed due to the amount of mucus (doctor assured me it sounded worse than it is) if that is possible. But to be honest as I look at my love laying in his hospital bed with oxygen taped to his face as the respiratory therapist administers a breathing treatment while banging on his little chest to break up the mucus I can't help to think things are really bad.
My nurse keeps telling me this is all completely normal for a little one with his illness...I am sorry, but none of this looks normal to me.
My heart is breaking and I just keep praying he wil get better fast and we can get out of here.
Thursday, February 16, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



9 comments:
:( wow... Can we catch a break please? Hope he gets well soon
Oh my gosh! So glad you knew to take him, but I'm so sorry you had to. You are right, nothing would feel normal about seeing Layton like that. I hope he gets better fast and I wish for lots of boring "normal" days in your future. Xxxooo
Oh, Darcey, I'm so sorry you're going through this. Great job following your gut, though. I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers...
Hope your little guy starts feeling better soon. Xox momma.
Aw, I'm sorry that he's sick! Both Lorelei and Alexa were hospitalized for their bronchiolitis. Lorelei's (my 4 year old) was much worse than Alexa's, we were in the hospital for 3 (or 4?) days, she was on oxygen, had an IV to get fluids, they used the super sucker to get her the mucous out of her airways, banged on her back and chest. They assured me she really wasn't that bad and it was so hard to believe them! Bronchiolitis is very common in the little ones, especially with RSV or another virus. As hard as it was to believe them that she wasn't that bad, I do see in hindsight that they were right. (Now I'm definitely not saying you shouldn't freak out, goodness knows I would too! And really, I did twice!)
Trust in your nurses and doctors, they are there to help you and Layton through this. I hope he starts feeling better soon and your hospital stay is short. xoxo
Also, I'm sure your doctors have told you already but days 3-5 are usually the worst, so hopefully you'll see some improvement soon!
Crap! What gives...
I'm sorry you are having to go through this and that poor Layton is sick. I sure hope this passes VERY soon. :/ Makes me even more sure that I am going to be locking my kid up and not letting anyone near him (since I have no other kids). Let the paranoia begin!
Praying!!
Hope he feels better soon!! Giuliana was diagnosed with that at 2 months and it is definetly from other kids!! Not to scare you, but once they get it every cold for them is 100x worse..make sure you have a neb at home with medication to use...it comes in handy and you can use it whenever they are sick. Last year we were at the doctor's office every other week. Not extreme to be hospitalized but enough for meds
Post a Comment