Sunday, February 19, 2012

No idea

I'm so tired, so I don't know if what I write makes any sense. I swear my brain falls asleep here and there because i can't remember anything right now. I got out of the hospital for the first time last night since Wednesday. I got to see my kids and get some much needed hugs and kisses. I even took my daughter to her gymnastic meet(which she rocked!!!) last night and then decided to stay home. The nurses and doctor have been pushing me to do this because I think they were afraid I was going to end up in a hospital bed myself due to exhaustion. I did get some rest, but I think it actually made me feel worse because I feel even more tired than I did yesterday...just can't win I guess.

So the following is what we know(which is pretty much what we knew yesterday...ugh!!!)



Cultures are still not growing anything which I think is a good thing, but the doctor still says he has an infection in his blood because one of the tests that measures the inflammation in the blood was so high. Because of not knowing what it is we have to continue to treat with both antibiotics...his poor little body.

His lungs are not better and the doctor finally called it pneumonia. John and I have been asking about this since Thursday night and everyone has been dodging it like the plague. I am glad that they finally acknowledged what the X-rays have been showing.

The doctor did decide to lower his fluids by 50% in his IV which I am not to happy about. We think it is an experiment to see if he gets worse again. He did this on Thursday and took him off his oxygen and it sent him into a tailspin...praying we don't have a set back. What has us so confused about this is because for 2 days they have been telling us how important it is to keep him extra hydrated so it will thin out his congestion in his lungs. Well, his congestion has not improved and there are still crackles when he breathes, so I don't understand why we are making changes right now.

Good news is his jaundice has reduced tremendously. Between the formula feeding and the nice big window in his room we have done a good job of flushing and baking the billirubins out of him. Doctor even said I might be able to start nursing him again tomorrow night which caught me by surprise.

Early tomorrow morning we will be running new bloodwork and having another chest X-ray done. Hopefully from that someone will tell us something we don't know.

Thank you for all the thoughts and prayers...it really means a lot to me and my family!

5 comments:

Renel said...

Oh my god- I just read all oftge posts about Layton being in the hospital. Far eu I am sending love and good vibes and prayers your way. What a nightmare. I am so sorry this is happening. I wish he would hurry and get better. I wish the doctors knew what they were trying to fight. Come on little boy. Fight it off! Sending my love to you. I know you are exhausted. I know he will be so glad to nurse again and maybe that will help him kick this big nasty bug.

Lj82 said...

I was wondering about pneumonia since you had mentioned the crackling before.l. Hope he feels better soon, thinking if you!

Melissa said...

I'm glad that you got to see your other kids and that his jaundice is better.

I'd say if you don't know why a doctor wants to do something then you should ask. Maybe you have already, sorry if I'm suggesting something you already did.

Thinking and praying for you both. I hope he feels better soon.

Addi's mom said...

Always anxious for an update. Been thinking about you lots and with today. Ring the 19th you have especially been on my mind. Thinking about Logan always, but also thinking so much of Layton and sending prayers and good vibes your way. I hate that you are dealing with this at all, but especially on the 19th...hugs friend!

My New Normal said...

Sending well wishes that he gets better soon.

Post a Comment