Friday, February 17, 2012

Layton Update

It has been a very long and exhausting 24 hours to say the least. I have slept a combined total of 3 1/2 hours in the last 72. Too much has happened and I have once again been brought to a place where I never wanted to return...I could lose my son.

The shorter version for now because I am too tired and overwhelmed to go into my thoughts on how things have been handled...
He doesnt just have Bronchiolitis, but he also has a nasty infection somewhere in his body and they are doing anything and everything to figure out what it is.

Last night he spiked a 103 fever and we could barely get it down. We were administering Tylenol rectally every 2 hours and it would not budge below 101.5. In my little 3 weeker this is very dangerous. He was struggling so hard to breathe, his heart rate was at a consistent 200 beats per minute, and his jaundice had increased. I knew where this was heading, but my nurse kept saying that the doctor wasn't horribly worried yet and we would continue to monitor him. Finally at 3 AM the orders finally came down to intervene. I went with my little man to get his IV put in...poor thing has tiny veins and 3 people later, 7 sticks with 7 blown veins and I even allowed them to try and put one in his scalp. I was so desperate to get some antibiotics into his little body that i didnt care what it took. All I kept thinking was that he was going downhill and he was going to die. When the nurse from the PICU couldnt get a vein they were discussing putting in a central line, but would have to wait until morning. They catheterized him to check for UTI, and started blood cultures. I couldn't stand watching him get poked anymore so I let my husband take a turn...wouldn't you know that some mystery vein showed up in his right arm out of nowhere and the nurse took advantage and got his IV in.Now that the antibiotics were started all we could do was wait for the doctor in the morning to tell us what the next step was going to be and to get the lab results. My nurse, who was amazing, gave us the heads up that he would most likely need a spinal tap which scared the crap out of me, but I was willing to do anything to get him better.

I have learned one thing since Layton has been here...doctors only become involved when things are really bad. I saw a doctor for 7 seconds yesterday and this morning we had so many doctors in and out of his room all we could do was sit and watch. The doctor decided to do a spinal tap along with a million different tests. His white blood count was so low and his "back up" line of defense to the white cells werenot even present...it was a 0.0. At this point they diagnosed him as early sepsis. I instantly lost it. I knew he was sick, but no idea how sick. The doctors are thinking the Bronchiolitis masked this infection and with him being dehydrated it kicked the infection into high gear. The good news is after the first 2 doses of antibiotics his CBC's have improved and he went from 0.0 to 4.0. His other cultures won't be ready until Sunday morning, but his spinal fluid was clear which they tell me is a really good sign.

To be honest I have been an absolute mess. I am so scared we are going to be leaving without my little boy, but my nurse has assured me that he has made some progress. Now that he has been "rehydrated" his heart rate has begun to slow. His congestion is also starting to leave his little body which breaks my heart because he sometimes sounds like he is choking on it and his fever has not increased. The big indicator that the treatment is working will be tonight between midnight and 4 am. That has been the time the last 2 nights his fever has spiked and things have gotten real bad.

My heart breaks seeing him this way, but I know they are treating every possible thing that could be wrong with his little body. The doctor said the waiting is the worst and he is right. Praying that nothing new shows up, that we get some answers on Sunday,and we can get him on the correct treatment plan.

I am trying so hard to be positive, but after losing Logan it is hard to believe things will work out. Layton IS better than last night, but we don't know how he is going to be in a few hours, tomorrow,etc. I have seen glimmers of my sweet boy today and am hoping with every hour his little body will continue to heal and we won't be here too much longer. He still has a long road ahead of him, but hopefully we stay on this path. I havent been able to hold him since this morning and it is killing me. He isn't allowed to eat right now so i am not holding him because he will think it is time to eat and he gets so upset which then causes heart rate and breathing rate to speed up...it just flat out sucks!!!

I am in another life changing situation...nothing will ever be the same after this. All I want is my family together under one roof healthy and happy. I have already been robbed of a lifetime of memories with Logan and more than ever I need Layton to pull through. If you can, please say a prayer for my sweet boy!!!

9 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh my, so many prayers with you and Layton! I really, truly hope that he is on the mend and he continues to get better.

Addi's mom said...

Omg Darcey, I just can't believe you are going through this. I rarely pray these days even for myself and my own little boy, but for you and Layton I WILL be praying. Sending you love and whatever else you need! My heart just breaks knowing that you are going through another life changing scenario. I hope you have good news to share and soon. Hang in there!!! Thanks for keeping us updated.

Cat said...

Oh how tough. My litle boy was in the NICU for 7 weeks, so I know what you're going through. The first few days were terrifying. Stay strong, believe in anything you can believe in, and know that he is in good hands. Thinking of you.

Molly said...

Wow girl, I didn't realize how serious this situation was. I will def be praying for y'all. Please keep us posted.

Amy L. said...

Darcey, honey, I'm holding you, your husband and baby Layton in my heart and will send prayers up momentarily. Come on, Little Man, hang in there!!

My New Normal said...

How overwhelmingly scary this whole thing must be for you and your family. Sending prayers for a speedy recovery,,, you've all been through enough already!

Lj82 said...

I am so sorry you are so scared right now. I will be thinking of you and your boy. Seriously, haven't you been through (more than) enough?

Xox momma. I know these days are so hard.

B. Wilson @ Windy {City} Wilsons said...

Darcey, we are absolutely supporting you from afar. This is terrifying and you are in every right position to be scared. Thinking and even saying prayers for your little boy.

Anonymous said...

Just read your latest update, and came back to this post..... I'm so sorry that you're faced with this situation, and I'm praying for strength, for your family, and especially for little Layton! I'm glad things are looking up a bit today, and I'll be thinking about you lots over the next little while!

Post a Comment