Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Still Here

Sorry I didn't update yesterday. Nothing had changed because he got put back on oxygen...poor guy couldn't keep his levels up when he slept again, but today he is doing wonderfully. I also was home with my other kids. I have seen and spent about 2 hours with them since everything went to hell last Wed...can't believe we have been here a week and still have 4 more days...MISERABLE!!!

He is doing so much better, but he has everyone completely confused about what is going on in his little body.The only thing that came up positive was rhinovirus(common cold) and although that may be the case his lungs are doing funky things.

It appears that the inflammation/atelectasis is traveling from side to side in his lungs. Although it appeared as pneumonia in his right lung there is no longer any "crackling" in that lung and it is now in the left lung. On his last X-ray there was some puffiness in the center of his lungs as well. My infectious disease doctor said this is uncharacteristic of pneumonia because once it is there it stays there for a week or 2, and his is traveling all over the place.Earlier today they sounded great, but after being off of oxygen for 14 hours he now has a pretty significant wheeze or squeak in his lungs. His pulmonary doctor said not to panic and this will resolve on its own. We will be having a chest X-ray 2 months from now to make sure everything has healed correctly.

The crappy news is because of the traveling mucous the doctor doesn't feel comfortable sending us home with oral antibiotics. He feels since there is a good amount of mucous still sitting in different areas of his lungs that it puts him at a higher risk for a bacterial infection and he doesn't want to chance it. This is a bummer because my pulmonary doctor thought for sure we would be out of here by Friday at the latest. The infectious disease doctor over ruled him and we will be here until Sunday so he can get his IV antibiotic. We are officially down to 1 and breathing treatments every 4 hours...we are moving in the right direction.

4 comments:

Renel said...

Go go baby! So glad to hear. I have been so worried. Sending so much love.

Addi's mom said...

Wish they had more answers, but glad to hear things are going in the right direction. Come on Layton you can do it!

My New Normal said...

I'm sorry you can't go home yet. But if the doctors think the safest place for him is the hospital then I suppose it's best that he's there. Hang in there and I will do some more praying that he gets well soon.

Melissa said...

I'm glad that they're being cautious but sorry that you're still in the hospital. I hope he continues to improve! Thinking of you.

Post a Comment