Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Dilemma

Had my last NST on Tuesday...thank the Lord because they are way too stressful for my liking.  He cooperated this time and stayed awake for the first 30 minutes and then decided to sleep the last 15 minutes.  The nurse also did a wonderful job of checking in on me every 5-7 minutes so we didn't have a fiasco like last time.  I was also having some nasty braxton hicks contractions every 2-3 minutes which is normal for me around this time of my pregnancy, but unfortunately it isn't doing anything except causing me pain.

I actually had my doctor check me to see if we had any activity going on with the cervix and just like I thought...NOPE!!!  The excess fluid is not allowing his head to engage, so it is just floating above my pelvis...not good!!!  So what does this mean exactly???  Well my induction will go like this (if we choose to do it this way).  We arrive bright and early Monday morning and the doctor doing my induction and the doctor getting off nights will start my induction most likely in the O.R. because we have to break my water right away to eliminate the extra fluid so his head will drop into my pelvis.  Why the O.R.?? Well, we now have to worry about cord prolapse...ugh!!! One doctor will have to guide the baby into the correct position while the other doctor breaks my water and they will have to monitor me right away for cord prolapse. If that should happen then I would already be in the operating room for an emergency c-section...needless to say it wasn't very comforting to hear.

The next step is to get me through the next 2 days mentally (gestation when I lost Logan) and then I go back in for pre-induction appt. on Friday afternoon.  This appt. will include a very lengthy Q&A session concerning this whole issue.  I have my last BPP and growth scan and they will see if his positioning has changed at all...which it won't have because has been the same for the last 4 weeks.  The position of the cord during this scan will tell a lot.  If it is up floating by his head again then we will probably say screw it and just go with the c-section and not even risk it.

Why this is even up for debate is because every single one of my babies I have had extra fluid with, but I have never done any scans to actually confirm it.  I have had to have my water broken with all of my labors to keep things moving and the doctor has always commented about how much fluid I have had and that is the reason my babies are always so high even when my contractions are on top of each other. Until Logan, when I did actually have a cord prolapse, this had never happened and it was never even brought up or addressed as a risk when they broke my water.  I am not stupid enough to put this little guy at risk and will probably go with the c-section, but I also am going to trust my doctor and see what she has to say.  She was the one who pushed to have this baby a week earlier, so I know she has mine and Layton's best interest at heart and won't be playing the percentage game.

So here I sit with another important decision that needs to be made while I take care of my poor 3 year old who has Strep throat and I am battling a cold...praying for once that things will just happen the way they are supposed to, and my doctor will make the choice crystal clear for us...we are getting so close...keep rocking and rolling baby boy, only 5 more days to go!!!

6 comments:

Molly said...

Only five days... So jealous! I agree with what u said... just go with what ur dr recommends since they obviously care and want to do what is best, especially considering the situation.

Addi's mom said...

Ugh dilemma, dilemma! I have hope that Layton will be okay, I hate that you have so much to worry about, but the fact that your doctors seem to be "on it" makes me happy. I can't believe it's only 5 days left...I feel like time has flown since you emailed me telling me of this postive pregnancy test! Can't wait to see pictures of Logan's little brother :)

Anonymous said...

It seems like you have a very caring and cautious medical team, which is so awesome! Hope these next five days fly by, so you can hold your little man! I'll be thinking about you lots over the next week, and can't wait to see the pics too!

Lj82 said...

I agree w/ the rest of the commenters- I love that you're so close, and I love that your doctors are all over it. :)

So excited for you (and slightly jealous you're so close. haha).

B. Wilson @ Windy {City} Wilsons said...

Ah, so much to think about! We're just starting to get in talks of when and how for us... but we've still got plenty of time to go in my opinion.

I think they are monitoring you quite well and hope it all goes off without a hitch!

Melissa said...

That's a very tough decision but I'm glad you have a caring and intelligent doctor to guide you through it. It seems like all precautions are being taken care of. I wish you sanity and peace in the last few days!

Post a Comment