This is a shorten version because Landon took a 4 hour nap and is ready to rock and roll while I am ready to fall into bed, but he seems to be feeling better and that is all I care about right now. I am also so aggravated that my iPad keeps turning my posts into one big blob of words...so aggravating!!! Anyone have any suggestions to why it won't format like I type it???
SVT
So what we do know is his heart condition is congenital. What causes SVT is an extra passageway for the electric currents to pass. For some reason his heart is straying off the main route and taking a shortcut which becomes circular and causes the severe tachycardia. There are a few things we can do at home to break the current, but if it doesnt happen after 5 minutes I need to call 9-1-1 and we will have to go through the same procedure he had on Sunday...ummm no thank you!! We are hoping to avoid this by having him on medication that should prevent these episodes, but like everything else it will take some time to have the correct dose. We also have to keep stimulants away from him and any cold medications or breathing treatments are now a thing of the past.
What we think we know...we are thinking a combination of his fever,sinus congestion, activity in the hot Florida sun, and slight dehydration may have triggered this severe episode. No one really knows for sure, but considering the only 3 episodes we know about have happened in the last 4 weeks when he has been running these constant fevers they are counting them as a trigger. Our goal from now on is to try and recognize these triggers and avoid them...not too fun for a boy who just turned 5 last week.
What we don't know...how exactly this will affect him. He may never have another episode, but we have to play it safe so we don't become a regular in our neighborhood E.R. We also don't know how many passageways there are until they run a catheter, but we won't be doing that anytime soon. They can do a catheter ablation if the meds don't work, but we want him to be done growing when/if that happens.
Fever
What we know...he has a stinkin' cold right now...damn rhinovirus. We also know he has puss behind both ear drums and they think that is part of whatever resistant strain we are dealing with. His fever got back up to 102 last night so we are not leaving this place until he is fever FREE for 24 hrs. We are hoping the IV antibiotics will do the trick.
What we don't know...still what bacteria we are dealing with. When I talked to my pediatrician today and told him we will be here until he is completely fever free his response was "great, you will be there for a year". Not exactly the encouragement I was expecting from him, so my husband and I are once again questioning the treatment we are using.
So in summary...heart problem solved and fever not. I guess it is a baby step in the right direction.
Monday, May 21, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
I hope you're out of there soon, with answers!
I'm glad there are some answers and solutions so far. I'm so sorry that he (and you) are going through all of this :(
Post a Comment