**It has taken 2 days of constant interruptions to get this done on my iPad. I know it is probably a mess, but I needed to write it down since I am exhausted and need something to look back on**
Supraventricular Tachycardia (SVT) is why I am typing my 100th post on my ipad while sitting next to my sleeping son in the Cardiac Unit of Children's hospital. He is doing okay, but we won't have any definitive answers until he gets an echo done and we see the cardiologist.
11 Days Ago...
I know I did not post anything since seeing the INfectious disease doctor mainly because we didnt learn much from him. 11 days ago we saw him and his thinking was that he got hit with a bacterial infection and a virus at the same time. Sound familiar??? It was like a flashback to Feb. when they didn't know what was wrong with Layton and they were covering their behinds. He did tell us that he had an ear infection in his left ear, but that it was healing so the antibiotics had done its job. He also pointed out some "photo sensitivity" to his arms and legs, which my husband responded with "you mean his sunburn". The doc said it looks like a sunburn to us, but to him it is more like a rash which is how a virus leaves the body. This did make sense because ever since Landon was a baby, whenever he was dealing with a virus he would be covered with a rash once the fever subsided. He also did not want to repeat the bloodwork because he felt it was unnecessary because he was getting better and with all the antibiotics it would be skewed anyway. I was a bit confused about the getting better part because I have been logging his fever pattern and they had not changed. Yes his cough had subsided, but he has been sick for over 4 weeks. I am sure at some point the cough was going to go away regardless of what meds he was on. I also was concerned because I had a copy of all Landon's bloodwork and I saw that his SED count went from 50 to 87 while he was on or just getting off antibiotics. This is very HIGH since it is supposed to be ZERO. The doctors kept saying without any other tests being abnormal it doesn't mean much. Again this doesn't make much sense because it tells you he has an infection somewhere in the body...just because you don't know where doesn't mean you just ignore it...that is my thinking anyway.
So we left the top ID doctor in the state with a paper that stated he has a left ear infection and photosensitivy to arms and legs. He also added that we could finish off the antibiotics if we wanted, but it was up to us. We did agree that we needed to get him off the meds to see if his symptoms return. So, instead of waiting 3 more days we stopped the meds. I stopped taking his temps and just let him be. I of course would still find ways to see of he was warm without him knowing it. We were at a point where I think he would run away from me because I was constantly checking to see if he had a temp. In my opinion I think the low grade stuck around based on the temp of his skin, but it all actuality it really doesn't matter because we have a whole other issue we are dealing with at this time.
Saturday May 19...
Logan's 17 month anniversary :(. In typical fashion I had my breakdown in the middle of the week around the 17th. My hubby flew out to Vegas for a work conference and my mom was nice enough to stay with me to help out. Saturday afternoon I noticed Landon was getting stuffy and starting to cough. I tried to write it off as justa cold,but of course all I was thinking was 1 week off meds and he is sick again. He climbed into my bed around 2 am that night and he was burning up...yep, the fever is back. I swear this stuff always happens on weekends and/or when the hubby is away.
Sunday May 20
I was planning on calling the ID doctor on Monday, but when I came back from grocery shopping those plans went out the window.
As soon as I walked into the house I knew something was wrong. My mom told me that Landon's heart was racing and had been for almost 15 minutes. When I put my hand on his chest it was literally pounding so fast I couldn't count it. I knew I needed to get him to the ER so we could catch it on the EKG. That was the one thing they emphasized the last time. They can't diagnose his tachycardia condition until it shows up on the EKG...thankfully we caught it this time, but it is also when it got scary. His little heart was stuck at 243 beats per minute. The pulse/ox probe couldn't even measure it it was beating so fast. When we walked into the ER his episode was approaching 45 minutes. I knew it was serious when they took us past a bunch of empty rooms into the dead center of the emergency room. Instantly there were about 5 nurses and tech's putting stickers all over him and prepping him for an IV. The doctor then came in and was trying to explain what was going to happen through all of the commotion...Landon was scared to death. All I kept earring was he was in SVT...whatever that was. In my head I knew T stood for Tachycardia and I assumed V had something to do with the ventricles, but I felt like I hit a wall when I heard him say he had to stop his heart from beating for 4 seconds and then restart it...you are going to do what??? At this point I started to panic and he told me I needed to leave the room. I asked him if I could stay and he flat out said NO...alrighty then. So I waited outside his room for about 4 minutes (which felt like 4 hours) and I could hear him moaning and groaning. I was trying so hard not to cry. Good news is he responded well to the meds and they only had to do the procedure once.
They diagnosed him Supraventricular Tachycardia(extra pathways in the heart for the electric current to travel)and he will be on meds for the rest of his life.
When the admitting pediatrician came in and he asked if I was totally freaking out and I said No...which was the honest truth. I was actually relieved that we may finally get some answers.I also think in my brain it is just one more bump in the road to add to everything else we have been through in the last 17 months.
The best part of this whole stay is our day nurse is a BLM. She totally understands why we ask so many questions and why we want to make sure when we leave the hospital this time we have answers we are comfortable with.



6 comments:
That is absolutely terrifying! I'm glad you have a diagnosis and know what you're dealing with, but it sounds like a terrifying way to find out!
Oh my dear Lord. I cannot imagine, after everything you've been through, how scary this must have been. But wow, SO glad you were able to ge to the ER on time for them to catch it!
Now, is this at all related to the fevers and stuff?
Hugs, Darcey...
Omg! You and Landon are sure having a go! I tell you! I hope the SVT is related in some way as to why he keeps getting fevers. I know you were freaking out but glad you were able to stay calm. Of Course your husband was out of town. Go figure! Hope you get some answers soon. And thank goodness for an understanding nurse.
Wow, I am near tears reading this. I have a 4.5 year old and if I had to go through what you just went through with Landon I'm not sure I could handle it. (((hugs))) to you!
So, is this why he is sick in general? Or is this something that has happened because of the infections he has had?
Darcey, I was so terrified reading this. Almost to the point of wanting to vomit-- obviously less scared than you were, of course!
I'm so sorry all this craziness is happening and the 4 minute procedure without your husband there? Holy crap. I'm so glad you guys were able to catch it and you got home when you did.
I sure wish terrible crap would leave your sons alone. Thankful he is okay and you guys have answers. Thank goodness for modern medicine (IMO), especially in times like this.
Oh my Darcey! I'm so sooty y'all are going through this but so glad that you have some answers! Will keep him in my prayers!
Post a Comment