Saturday, December 31, 2011

So Confused...

I realized I haven't posted much on the Layton front mainly because the last couple of weeks have been a whirlwind with Logan's birthday/anniversary, Christmas, and my kids home from school. Despite all the craziness he has been a good little mover for me so I have been doing pretty well on the anxiety front until recently.

At my 32 week visit which was almost 3 weeks ago (crazy) we had another biophysical profile done.  He was less that cooperative and wouldn't make the "breathing" movements they like to see.  He was moving and all was good, but it took a good 25 minutes and some apple juice for him to get past his stubborn ways, wake up, and finally pass the test.  Because it was only 2 weeks since my last one they wouldn't give me any estimates on size or weight, but based on the numbers moving on the scale whenever I step on it I have no doubt that he was putting the weight on that all of my children do so easily while in utero...oh yeah and he had moved from transverse to frank breach.  The pics you get when they are in this position are quite funny as you can see from the one I have included below
He had his feet and hands in front of his face the entire time...little stinker!!!  At this point it was still early, but with him in this particular position now I was still on track for a c-section which made Daddy very happy because that is the way he wants me to deliver this time around.  I have prepared my lovely hubby that this will probably change because he is his son, and based on the 2 we have running around at home they NEVER do what is easy or asked of them. If we want him head down for a vag birth he will hang out breach the entire time and if we would rather have the c/s then he will flip on us because that is what our boys do...and of course I was right :)

For my 33 week visit I had my first NST done.  He passed with flying colors, but I would be lying if it didn't freak me out a little.  His hb would fluctuate between 140 and 170 on a regular basis and sometimes drop to 125.  My doctor told me that is completely normal and what they expect to see.  What they don't want is 20 minutes of the same hb without any increases or decreases and if that was the case then the would have followed up with an ultrasound to make sure all was okay.  Luckily we didn't have to go that route.  Layton was also laying on a diagonal, which is an improvement from the crazy frank breach position he was in the previous week, and my doctor agreed to set my induction for Jan. 30 which will be 39 weeks and 1 day.  At first I thought I was good with this, and then by the time I got home all the worries of what could happen between weeks 38 and 39 started to creep in.  I have been so confused about doing what is best for him because in my mind alive is the only thing that matters, but in reality I do have to consider any possible negative effects of taking him before 39 weeks...ugh!!

On the paranoid pregnant momma after loss front, I had my first official scare 3 nights ago.  Around 1 a.m. I woke up to what felt like Layton standing up and trying to rip out of my stomach and it felt as bad as it sounds.  I literally threw myself out of bed and started panicking.  It didn't occur to me what had actually happened until the next morning, a.k.a. moving into head down position.  All I know was he was kicking like crazy and my lower abdomen was burning from where he decided to swan dive into my pelvis (so scary and painful)...kid is totally going to be a handful when he arrives.

Unfortunately, it gave me a flashback to Logan's final movements a year ago, which I unfortunately ignored, but Layton's were much much shorter and he settled down after a few minutes and got back to his normal rolling around that occurs nightly.  It didn't stop me from instantly grabbing my doppler though, which has been the best purchase I have ever made during this crazy pregnancy, and I have no doubt in my mind that if I hadn't of had it I would have made my first trip to L&D.  It was also at this point that I realized how close I am getting to the end and how scared I am going to be the next couple of weeks, and at the same time need to look into possibly moving my induction up to 38 weeks which is what we originally thought was going to happen 6 months ago. Luckily, i had a doctor appointment yesterday with a different doctor who I like, and not to mention is a mother herself with little one's.  I was very interested in listening to her opinion on the matter and I knew she would be completely honest with me not only from a doctor's perspective, but from a mother's as well.

I started off my doctor appointment with a biophysical profile with an ultrasound tech that I haven't had yet, so of course I had to go through my background and loss of Logan which I can actually do without tears now...progress???  He was a good boy today and was beyond cooperative, and like I had thought based on his nightly performance a few nights back is now officially head down and growing like crazy.  I will be 35 weeks on Sunday (I was 34 weeks 5 days I believe at time of scan) and all his measurements are coming in at 37 weeks and 3 days and he is currently weighing 6.8 lbs give or take a few ounces...yes, I grow them big!!!  We also had a pretty big confirmation that his EIF (calcium deposit on the heart that caused all the issues 15 weeks ago) is GONE!!! Unbelievable, because most of the time that stays for life.  I think of all the stress and fear we went through with the possibility of Down Syndrome and the amnio and not one of his soft markers are there anymore...crazy!!!

This ultrasound was different than the previous one's. It really hit me hard and touched my heart in an unexpected way.  It almost sent me into tears because he was moving, yawning, and at one point he actually opened his eyes...which was kind of creepy on the 4D screen.  It also made me realize that I want him out NOW!!!! I know he has a few weeks left of baking, but I CAN'T bury another son. I want to see those eyes in person looking into mine, having him hold my finger, and most importantly hear his cries.  I don't want another SILENT birth!!!

I think having that emotion really helped me out when I saw the doctor.  I explained the issue I was having waiting until 39 weeks and all she said was "if I was you i would get him out earlier too" and she filled out my induction card for Jan.23-25 instead of Jan. 30.  This IS what I wanted, but now I sit here 24 hours removed and am in sort of a panic.  She did have to tell me that there is a chance of lung immaturity before 39 weeks, but she didn't think it would be an actual problem considering the size of my "not so little" guy already.

So, now I sit here struggling with am I doing what is best for him or doing what is best for me??? Am I being selfish by denying him an extra 7 days of baking and guaranteed lung development??? Should I just let them do an amnio the friday before to confirm he is good to go so it eases my anxiety??? Is it too much of me, me, me???

Another month of pregnancy and another set of worries...having to make decisions that directly affect your children is never easy, but this one is really taking its toll on me and I have 3 long weeks to simmer in it before I get to kiss these chubby cheeks and find out if I made the right one.
Layton 34 weeks 5 days

 Has anyone been induced before 39 weeks or know anyone who has?  Any complications that presented themselves that I should be aware of?

9 comments:

Melissa said...

Congrats on making it this far and not being checked into a mental hospital! :)

I just had my rainbow baby in October and was induced at 39w3d. I was originally set for induction at 39w but the maternity floor was full so they postponed me. I freaked out, but it all ended well. I distracted myself with a book that weekend (and cried a lot).

My hospital had a rule that we needed an amnio for inductions earlier than 39 weeks. Since an amnio does have risks to it I chose to skip it and an induction earlier than 39 weeks. When I was talking with the doctors about the earlier induction though they mentioned recent studies being done about SIDS risks being increased for babies born earlier than 39 weeks and a bunch of other issues. That essentially scared me straight into waiting until the 39 week induction.

Whatever you choose, I'll be thinking and praying for you and Layton.

Lj82 said...

I'd want him out, but that is because I would be a raging case of anxiety which, I suspect, wouldn't be optimal for baby, either. But you'll know what feels right to you. An amino seems like a reasonable option, as I understand it, the risks with the, done this late in the game is labour, which if being done at 38 weeks, doesn't seem all that bad. But keep talking to the dr. There are a lot of blms who are induced at 35/36/37 weeks and don't have complications... Could you inquire about lung developing steroids, whether it's something you should consider? (I suspect it's not- they don't stop labour after 37 weeks for a reason, right.)

Anonymous said...

Have you had steroids (I see that LJ just asked that as well) Jenna was born at 35 wks 3 days, and had no issues with breathing or otherwise, we were home two days later. She did have steroids 9 days before her birth, and that probably helped things alot. They are taking my cerclage out at 36 wks this time, and expect I'll go into labour any time after that.....
Can't wait to hear your good news about Layton's safe arrival... it's getting so close!

Anonymous said...

And I forgot to mention what an adorable baby he is! I love the pics!!!
Hugs

Molly said...

I have many issues as u know so I am going at 36/37 weeks so there is no chance of me going into labor. My RE told me there are very few cases of immature lungs at 38 weeks and with him being so big, I wouldn't worry a bit about it. As my RE also said, getting them out alive is most important. Will be thinking of u in the coming weeks!!!

Renel said...

Ugh... So hard. I was always if the belief that the baby will come when ready but that changes when your baby dies. I know I would want my baby out! But I also would worry like you. So many people's babies are born early and are totally fine. I guess that was what was hard about Camille dying at 38 weeks. She was born after tons/most babies and died! So yeah I understand the conflict. You still have some time to decided and based an little musters measurements he might just decide for you and come early!

B. Wilson @ Windy {City} Wilsons said...

I also used to be one of those that believed a baby comes out when it's ready. But obvi BLMs are a different breed the next go-around... especially the pregnancy right after a loss.

I will personally be pushing for a 37/38 week induction at the latest. I will be asking for an amnio to assure lung development as well. It's just so hard to still think about how Andrew was stillborn at 38w5d and would've definitely been mature and ready to make his arrival alive, but the damn cord cut his life short. :/ You will make the decision you need to when ready. I understand the struggle with the choice.

Darcey said...

Thank you ladies for the input...I am still on the fence about this whole thing and probably will be right up to the end. I know the doctor I see next is going to tell me to stick to 39 weeks, but who knows maybe he will surprise me and say 38 weeks will be fine. I believe Logan died at 37 weeks 6 days so either way I have to get past that point which I think is going to be a struggle...i just don't know!!!

Addi's mom said...

This is also something we are struggling with so I totally understand where you are coming from! Wish we had that crystal ball to tell us what to do! Love the pictures of Layton and wishing you any kind of peace you can hold onto in the coming weeks and of course a healthy, happy, living little boy to smother with kisses and love!

Post a Comment