Friday, June 29, 2012

5 Months Old

I started this last week, but things are so hectic with the kids being home that I never got a chance to finish it and then unfortunately I managed to delete it...story of my life.

Layton has changed so much in the last month.  He got his bottom 2 teeth right at the 4 month point along with a double ear infection...can you say no sleep for mommy!!!  It was like the first weeks back in February and I did not miss those days of exhaustion one bit.
Showing off his new teeth
He also has started solid food.  My pediatrician did not mention anything to me at his 4 month visit, but since his tongue thrust is gone (took his medicine extremely well) I decided to start anyway and boy does he LOVE it!!! His favorite is sweet potatoes and he will easily eat 1 1/2 jars at a sitting.  I have found the thicker the food the more he enjoys it.  I tried a pears/apples brown rice concoction by Ella's kitchen this morning and he couldn't get enough.  I love this because that means he will be ready for table scraps in the next few months.


On the sleeping front we are still struggling since the teething/ear infection incident a month ago.  He is back to getting up anywhere between 1-3:30 am for a feeding and then will be up again 3 hours later. I have been trying to ignore him and let him fall back to sleep and it has worked a few times.  The problem is he immediately flops over on his belly and inches himself all the way to the top of the crib.  I am of course paranoid about this, but common sense tells me like all my other children that he has to learn how to sleep on his belly or learn to flip back over.  The BLM in me still panics about SIDS, but he is way strong enough to pick his entire chest  off the mattress let alone his head and twice I have gone in and he was actually asleep on his belly with his head turned.  Again, i forced myself to sneak back out and not flip him over...it was very hard, but these are small hurdles that I have to overcome in order to let him develop like the rest of my children.

He is growing so fast and he is becoming so strong.  He is almost sitting completely unassisted and has finally figured out how to use his hands.  This has resulted in hair loss for my daughter and I, but it is so cool to see him reach and grab or pick something up on a first try and stick it right into his mouth.  He has found his feet along with other things below the waist which has made diaper changes a NIGHTMARE!!!
He would rather fall over than let go of his toes
My favorite by far is how he reaches up grabs my face and gives me the biggest kiss.  Granted his mouth is as open as he can get it and leaves me covered in slobber, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. It fills my heart with love and there is nothing more a tired momma needs than reassurance that even the littlest person appreciates all that you do.
This is an example of what I am talking about...always giving away kisses

Yesterday he had one hand on my ear and the other on my cheek and he was just gazing into my eyes.  I broke down because the amount of love I have for him is overwhelming and it immediately makes me miss his brother that much more.

I can't believe he is 5 months old already, but the older he gets the cooler he gets.  They are so much fun at this age.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So happy to see him thriving! What a handsome little man he is!!

Addi's mom said...

Seriously how cute is he?!?! I just want to smush his cheeks! I can't wait until M tried to kiss me...even open mouthed and slobbers! ha!

Still missing Logan with you,I know it never gets better.

Renel said...

He is amazing!!! Darcey I have been thinking of you a lot lately...wondering how your son is feeling, any more fevers? I just want you to know you and and your family have been on my mind.

Post a Comment